Hello!

Hello!

15 July 2007

Lazy Sunday...

We have been beyond lazy today. It is hot, ridiculously hot, possibly hotter than it was yesterday, and I have not been too eager to head outside.

Last night we went out with Ms. Yen and Mr. Quy. It wasn't quite what we expected, but it ended up being a good time. Ms. Yen is a lot of fun, and I really like spending time with her. I think she had a good time with us. Oh, we met a Ghanaian soccer player last night, too. He plays for the team here in Vinh City, and he has a bit of a crush on me, which made me feel a little uncomfortable. Mr. Quy was teasing me about that this morning.... I guess this is my brush with celebrity while I'm here in Vietnam. The guy is pretty famous here in Vinh.

Yesterday we went shoe shopping and to the market nearby. We are usually teaching in the evenings and were quite surprised to see that the city comes alive at around 5:30. There were people walking in the square, the markets are bustling, and everyone is out. I bought a pommelo at the market, and it's sitting on my desk, waiting for me to eat it. The best thing is that it was a quarter of the price that I pay for it back home. :) Don't worry, Maggie, I'll think of you as I eat it. Andrea and I also bought a soccer ball so we can take the boys to the park and play (or set up a game in the school lobby). So far, Thanh's nephew has had a ball with it in the hotel lobby. He's quite a handful, and a real cutie. He has been wandering in and out of our rooms looking for things to play with, and so far, he likes the ball most.

We're getting to be regulars on the motorbike front, and it's actually not as nervewracking when you're on the bike as when you're walking and watching them dodge in and out of traffic. They're quite practical here, I think. The wide sidewalks are a perfect parking lot for bikes, and they stir up a nice breeze in the humid Vietnamese summers. I would love to get one back home and use my car only in the winter or on rainy days. How sweet would I look on a Vespa? ;) Not to mention the gas I'd be saving.... How much IS gas these days, anyway?

Well, we've got a karaoke appointment at five, and it's just about time, so I'll be off. I'll have to share my stories of Ho Chi Minh's homeland tomorrow. I'm sure you're all dying to know. ;)

No comments: