Hello!

Hello!

17 February 2009

In the meantime, can I get a sound check?

I've been thinking about a lot of things lately, some pretty heavy, and I do want to write about them, but I'm pretty frustrated after my class today. I feel like it'd be good for me to cool down a bit before I write about those issues; my perspective is a bit clouded right now.
Anyway, it's not like I haven't been thinking about my current soundtrack for a hot minute.

1. "Take Me Away" by John Legend

Oh, Mr. Legend.... There's a melancholy to it but also an optimism, and I like that. It reminds me of the way I feel in winter and how this winter has been so much better than last, partly because of the people I've had around me. And it's John Legend. How can I NOT love it?

2. "This Time" by John Legend

"This time I want it all, this time I want it all. Showing you all the cards, giving you all my heart. This time I'll take the chance, this time I'll be your man. I can be all you need, this time it's all of me." I love this song, mostly for the preceding lines. It just reminds me that I'm glad that I've taken the chances I've taken this year instead of holding back.

3. "Talkin' About A Revolution" by Tracy Chapman

So, I was in the car the other day, and this song came on my ipod, and it felt like I was listening to this song for the first time. Man, it is such good stuff!
"Don't you know you're talking about a revolution It sounds like a whisper While they're standing in the welfare lines Crying at the doorsteps of those armies of salvation Wasting time in unemployment lines Sitting around waiting for a promotion...." Go 'head and sing it, Tracy.

4. "You Got Me" by The Roots
The video is copyrighted like crazy, so click the link, because it's worth it. I remember listening to this when it first came out in the late 90s and loving it, and I kind of recently rediscovered it. The sign of good music: you hear it again ten years later, and it STILL sounds fresh and beautiful.

5. "The Nature" by Talib Kweli feat. Justin Timberlake

Such a smart song; such a clear, sharp analysis of where we are as a society. "Don't nobody talk no more they all text message Driving and typing, not paying attention, missing the next exit Depending on navigation they never know where they're goin'They stay stuck in one spot; they're not growin'"

6. "Octavo día" by Shakira

Classic Shakira, before the blonde hair and the crossover, when she was still dying her hair burgundy (has any Latina NOT gone through that stage?!). Also, the lyrics. It's funny how so often it's the non-Christians who really get our need for God, because that's what I get from this. It's also about how easy it is for us to forget Him and our need for Him, because we're so busy letting the media give us folks to worship. "Es más difícil ser rey sin corona que una persona más normal..."

7. "Hold You in My Arms" by Ray LaMontagne

His voice, the folk influences in the music, the lyrics.... Oh, the love.

8. "Sólo quiero darte amor" by La Secta

Big shout out to my Puerto Rican rock en español bands. This is just fun - love this PR rock.

9. "Boquerón" by Fiel a la Vega

Speaking of my Puerto Rican rockers.... These guys are absolute geniuses. This is a little instrumental piece that is both so classic and so Puerto Rican.

10. "Cheer Up" by Ten Shekel Shirt

Except that what I was really going for was "House of Memories". That said, "Cheer Up" is a fine substitute, especially those last lines: "Wake up, it's time to dream bigger." Challenging. I'll take it.

Also, when will this be back on tv?

No comments: