Hello!

Hello!

31 May 2009

Sound of Summer

There are some songs that I associate with summer. I hear them and think of riding in the car with the windows down heading to the park, to the beach, to a BBQ.... Oh, yeah!

So, the sounds of summer, for me:

1. "Summertime" by Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff

'Nuff said.

2. "Canción en la arena" by Fiel a la Vega

This is THE beach song, in my head. The title translates to "Song on the sand" - it's a little slice of life, a day on a Puerto Rican beach. Love, love, love it. This is such a summer song for me. PLUS, it's FIEL! Can't go wrong with those boys.

3. "Cowboy Take Me Away" by The Dixie Chicks

I don't know why I associate this song with summer, but I do. I guess it might be the idea of sleeping on a pillow of bluebonnets with a blanket made of stars. That and the fact that I think that this song is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. So perfect I can barely even stand it.

4. "I Wish" by Skee Lo
Y'all know you remember this one. Fun, fun, fun stuff - and hilarious.

5. "Vamos de nuevo" by Víctor Manuelle

Or anything by him, you know, because I love him. He is my favorite salsero, and there is nothing like driving around with some good salsa playing on the stereo. A few more good ones: "He tratado", "Cómo se lo explico al corazón", and "Así es la mujer".

6. "Guayaquil" by Don Omar

I know, I know. Don Omar doing cumbia? Oh, but it's catchy! And I don't know how it works, but Latinos can make an accordion sound HOT! Believe it. Oh, and as a 6 1/2: "Salió el sol" by Don Omar. I'm not huge into reggaetón, but this song makes me want to dance EVERY TIME!

7. "Quickly" by John Legend

Because y'all KNOW I can't make a soundtrack without Mr. Legend.

8. "Is This Love?" by Bob Marley and the Wailers

This song reminds me of walking down Costa Rican streets on my way to the beach from some little café where I might have just enjoyed a fresco de guanábana. Delicious. Also, the lyrics? "I wanna love you and treat you right....We'll be together with a roof right over our heads, we'll share the shelter of my single bed." LOVE!

9. "Oye mi amor" by Maná

And a couple more by Maná: "Cómo te deseo", "Tú me salvaste" and "Bendita la luz"

10. "Touch the Sky" by Kanye West feat. Lupe Fiasco
Two of my three favorite Chi-town rappers, Common being the third. Actually, I'll take pretty much anything by Kanye. He's good summer music.

Let the summer begin!

No comments: