Hello!

Hello!

30 January 2009

Confessions

I hate snow. Hate it. Despise it.
I know I'm going to get flak for this and people will be like, "Oh, but it's so pretty." Yeah, yeah. I've heard that. It is. It's pretty when it's falling down, but I want that ish to melt as soon as it hits the ground; it should not accumulate on any surface that I need to walk on.

Everyone tells me about all the fun they had as children playing in the snow, and to be honest, I have one and a half fun memories of that. The half is that first time I played in snow. I was probably four or five and there's a picture of my sister and I bundled up in snow suits wielding a snow shovel and piling the snow in C.'s toy stroller. I was probably excited about it that day. After that, we did not play in the snow by choice. We were totally over it.
The full memory is of an eighth grade winter camp when we went snow tubing and had a big snowball fight. It was fun only because I was with my friends, not because balls of fabricated snow (read: ice) were flying at my head.

So, yeah, spare me the nostalgia, because I have no love for snow. I have plenty of love for 95 degrees and 100% humidity, so I would not say that I have no appreciation for nature or what not. Give me sun and heat and humidity any day and I won't even ask you for AC. Snow is just not my thing.

It snowed here this week and now my driveway is a dangerous skating rink. It snowed, rained, froze. There are deadly layers of ice and icy snow from the bottom of the steps to the cars parked out back, and even more deadly layers leading out to the curb where my recycling bins have been sitting for days because I cannot bring myself to make the trek out there to drag them back to their rightful place because I don't. Want. To die. It's scary, no joke.

I had to scrape that stuff off my car the other morning and it put me in such a bad mood until the sun came out and melted a little bit of it. Nothing depresses me like scraping snow and ice off my car in the morning, except, you know, maybe January.

So to end this rant on a positive note, I get to escape this frozen wasteland in a month. Mmmmm, Los Angeles.... Land of sunshine, beaches, taco trucks, and heat. Can't wait for the fun in Southern Cali with the sweetest boy. Oh yeah, and my sister and brother-in-law. Yay.

No comments: