Hello!

Hello!

12 February 2008

Potomac Tuesday

Eight years ago, on a day like today, I cast my first vote. I was seventeen, and was going to turn eighteen in time for the presidential elections, and was thus qualified to vote in the primaries. I remember going to the polling station with my mom and showing my license, then going into the booth and casting my vote.... I felt like an integral part of the democratic process.
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm Latin: I understand corruption in ways that most Americans can't. I don't for a minute believe that the process is without flaw, but I still believe in the importance of participating. I believe in that moment of making a decision and standing for something you agree with. I cast my vote, and I cast my voice. This is what I believe. I believe that this person can represent my interests and the interests of the nation as a whole.
So I voted today, Potomac Tuesday, they called it. It was the day for the DMV's primary (for all those outside the region: D.C., Maryland, and Virginia) and I went, despite the fact that I'm in the process of moving, despite the fact that we were getting some freezing rain, despite the fact that I've lost my voice. I got my little sticker - a badge of honor - and went home feeling like a model citizen.
The funny thing, I remember how excited I was that first time, eight years ago, and I swear, I was just as excited this time around. It's always that exciting for me. It's that democratic process, that being a part of decision making, that I love.
The process and Obama.... ;)
Hope y'all voted....

1 comment:

jessica said...

hey obama mama! way to barack the vote! obama earned my vote, too. :) check out my blog to watch the john mccain parody of the "yes, we can" video. you'll love it! ;)