Hello!

Hello!

26 March 2008

Not exactly a soundtrack for my life, but....

In an attempt to destress, I was thinking about some singularly beautiful songs.
This is what I've come up with:

1. "Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight and the Pips.

It's a haunting kind of song when you really listen to it. This man who goes out to LA to chase a dream and doesn't make it, that return to his home in defeat, but at least he returns with the woman who loves him. There's a bit of bittersweetness in her leaving her own life behind to follow him as well. Sacrifice, failed dreams, lessons learned.... Good stuff.

2. "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel.

I love me some Paul Simon, I really do, and this won't be his only appearance on this list. This song, however, is a classic. It's about friendship, loyalty, devotion. Lovely.

3. "Ordinary People" by John Legend

First, that man has some pretty, pretty eyes. Second, this is that rare intersection of perfect song and perfect video. "Cause we're ordinary people, maybe we should take it slow.... This ain't a movie, y'all; no fairy tale conclusion..." and yet, you come out of it still believing that things can work. Well done, Mr. Legend.

4. "Lamento Borincano" written by Rafael Hernández, sung by Daniel Santos

This is a truly Latin story. A man from the country heads into town with his goods for sale. He's all hopeful at first, but the people in his country are so poor they can't buy anything, and off he returns home with a heavy heart. Who will save Puerto Rico? Good question....

5. "Bendita la luz" by Maná and Juan Luis Guerra

Those blessed connections with people, blessed destiny that puts people together, blessed be God for orchestrating all of that.

6. "Mojado" by Ricardo Arjona

Another perfect song and video combo. It sums up all that nostalgia for what you have to leave behind with the need to emigrate. It captures the desperation of anonymity that undocumented people feel. "If we are issued a universal visa at birth that expires when we die, why do they persecute you, mojado, if Heaven gave you permission?"

7. "Born in Puerto Rico" by Paul Simon (video features José Feliciano and Paul Simon)

This is one of those songs that I just feel. "I was born in Puerto Rico and my blood is Taíno; Spanish-Caribbean, my soul. We came here wearing summer clothes in winter...." That, my friends, is me.

8. "Redemption Songs" by Bob Marley

"How long will they kill our prophets while we stand aside and look?....Won't you help me sing another song of freedom?" Yes, Bob.

9. "Solamente" by Fiel a la Vega

My favorite lines: "And sometimes happiness seems utopian to me, like a Marxist dream, like a romantic song; but if you draw close with your emancipating fingers....you will revive my idea of redemption" This song is so brilliant. It really is....

10. "Jesus Walks" by Kanye West

"I wanna talk to God, but I'm afraid 'cause we ain't talked in so long" That honesty is heartbreakingly beautiful. And lines about Jesus walking with murderers, drug dealers, strippers? Yes. Shocking, disconcerting, but lovely.

11. "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley

I was going to leave it at ten, but I couldn't leave this song out. You know what does it for me? "And love is not a victory march, it's a cold and it's a broken 'Hallelujah'."

No comments: