Hello!

Hello!

16 April 2008

Idol chatter

I'm a huge American Idol fan. Yes, I know, it's cheesy; it's probably rigged; it's a big camp fest. It's my guilty pleasure. Nothing like a little old-fashioned cheese combined with dreams of stardom to make me happy.
I'm rooting for David Archuleta, David Cook (he's grown on me), and my man Jason Castro.
So I'm watching right now - results night with special performances from Elliot Yamin and Mariah Carey. (Side note, I love that a man named Elliot who lost on this show can make it the way he has. He's a good one.)
They had this segment on NPR this morning or yesterday (the days are blurring together...) about why Americans love Idol and they were saying that it has helped restore our faith in democracy. I thought that was interesting.

On a less serious note, my students were doing some groupwork today. I was circulating through the room and checking in on them when I heard this little tidbit which I thought was hilarious:
M: "Oh, Dominicans!"
S: "Oh YES!"
M: "Why aren't there more Dominicans here? I need to be somewhere where there are some DOMINICANS! The only Dominican I knew here moved to New York to be near more -
M and S: "DOMINICANS!"
S: "Yeah, they are sexy. I need to find a black Hispanic man."
M: "Oh, I KNOW! I love when I see a black guy and he opens his mouth and starts speaking Spanish!" *melts into her chair, throwing her head back*

I had to laugh to myself as I listened. I feel ya, girls, I feel ya.... Haha.

PS - the show's ended, but I won't give away the results for all the TiVoers out there. I'll just say there were no surprises.

No comments: