Hello!

Hello!

20 July 2008

Más vale vivir llorando que morir sin saber cuanto

Mujer de 26 años (Hey! That's me!) by Tony Croatto and Fiel a la Vega


Love that song, the bittersweetness of settling for stability and the pang of regret all those years later and the determination to let her daughter live without all the pressures of el qué dirán. It's so Latin.... My parents are old-school Puerto Rican, and that qué dirán is such a huge deal in the family, that I can totally identify with the woman in the song.

A little clarification for non-Spanish speakers: el qué dirán is the fear of what others will say about the decisions we make and the things that we do. We live public lives, us Latinos, and that fear is a huge part of traditional Latino culture - it was one of the recurring themes in all of the texts we read in A2....

Anyway, on a different note, I have a place to live and roommate for next year. J and I secured a cute little apartment five minutes from Eastern which I'm excited about. We even have a front porch! I heart porches. I'm a little (ha!) worried about money, but I'm trusting God to provide for me.

I went to ICC last night and saw a lot of the folks from the retreat. I really enjoy spending time there, even though I am pretty much the only one who's not Korean.

Well, as long as I'm up so early, I should get my booty in gear and work out. I've been so laaaaaazy this summer!

2 comments:

Yaritza said...

Hola,
Yo estaba buscando informacion sobre el bathingsuit the Victoria Secret's High wasted bottom y me trajo aqui. Yo nadamas queria decir hola. Yo tambien so Puertoriquena y vivo en VA. Cuando yo encuentro a un Puertoriqueno tengo que decir Hola LOL!!

Pues Hola!!!
Yaritza

Frances Joy said...

¡Otra Boricua en VA! Gracias por pasar por aquí y saludar.