Hello!

Hello!

27 September 2008

It's been awhile - can I get a sound check?

Songs I've been listening to a lot lately - the latest soundtrack of my life.

1. "I Want a Little Sugar in My Bowl" by Nina Simone

Oh, the scandal. Dirty, dirty little song, but so smooth you almost don't even notice it. Hahaha. This is the perfect sound for studying, though, and her voice is fantastic. I love her.

2. "P.D.A. (We Just Don't Care)" by John Legend

Who doesn't know how much I love John Legend? No one, that's who. This particular video has the lyrics translate (not quite accurately, as far as I can tell) into Portuguese, which I thought was fun. I love the "Let's go to the park. I want to kiss you underneath the stars" lines....

3. "Refuge (When It's Cold Outside" by John Legend

As long as we're talking Mr. Legend.... This is such a good, good song. "When it's cold outside, there's no need to worry, 'cause I'm so warm inside. You give me peace." So cheesy, so cute. This is probably my favorite of his songs.

4. "Like a Star" by Corinne Bailey Rae

Her voice! 'Nuff said. Can you tell I've been listening to all this mellow stuff while studying? Hahaha...

5. "Restless" by Alison Krauss and Union Station

The woman's voice is unbelievable: clear, effortless, beautiful. "I just can't stand bein' alone; gonna have to change that someday." This song and "Gravity" have been top of my list lately.

6. "These Arms of Mine" by Otis Redding

Combining one of my favorite songs with a great dance routine.... Oh, this song! "These arms of mine, they are yearning, yearning from wanting you. And if you would let them hold you, oh, how grateful I will be." Mmmm, what a way with words, and how subtly sexy. The dance routine, a little less subtle on the sexy, but still fabulous.

7. "You Were Made for Me" by Sam Cooke

They just don't make music like this anymore.

8. "Welcome to DC" by Mambo Sauce

This is the one that I'm blastin' in the car on my way to school. "The G. O. the G. O...." Yessir, that is the sound of Go-Go, the sound of home. The video isn't good, not gonna lie, but the sound! "Much love to VA and MD, that's why the new DC is the DMV." Who knew I'd be reppin' it like this. Hahaha...

9. "Una plegaria más" by Fiel a la Vega

Surprise, surprise: a little Fiel love. This song gets to me more and more these days, though, because of the way they're trying to figure out just how God is involved in all the brokenness of the world. It's the kind of the thing that we're working through in class, too. Not that I've quite figured it out - I don't think I ever will. But I do believe He's somehow involved in it with this plan that's so much bigger than my head.

10. "I Tried" by Bone Thugs N Harmnoy Feat. Akon

Bone Thugs will always hold a special place in my heart. "I'm startin'to see it's me where the complication's at" Great line! That's always a hard thing to admit, not that the message is consistent, throughout, but that's so good. Plus, this song fits with my idea that nothing worth having comes easily.

11. "Much" by Ten Shekel Shirt

Obviously, not the original, but the song is the point of it. "I am the one who's been forgiven much, and I am the one who loves much." I'm working on that second half.

12. "Constellations" by Jack Johnson

So chill, so good. Can't you just picture the whole thing? I love it. What is up with all the Portuguese translations, though?!

13. "One" by U2 feat. Mary J. Blige

Two legends on a legendary song. It's got a new flavor, and it made me think about the lyrics again, instead of just sitting back and listening. The crush I have on Bono and the respect I have for MJB make me a sucker for this particular version.

14. "Tell You Something (Nana's Reprise)" by Alicia Keys

"I wanna tell you something, give you something, show you in so many ways....Won't wait till it's too late." This is the kind of song I wish I could live by.

15. "Que Sera Sera" by Sly and the Family Stone

My favorite version of a great song. This version is like magic: mellow, but not boring at all. Those harmonies are on point.

No comments: