Hello!

Hello!

09 January 2008

acomplejada and items for a woman's wardrobe.

Someone told me yesterday that I have a complex. His exact words were that I "have a complejo". This from someone who doesn't know me all that well. It went something like this:

Him: I can tell you got a little complejo.
Me: What?! How so?
Him: I don't know, I can just tell. I don't know why, because you're gorgeous.
Me: Hmm...
Him: I don't know, maybe you had your heart broken too many times. You got a little complejo, got some walls....

He may have hit the nail on the head. Not so much the multiple broken hearts, but the last one's still pretty recent. And by broken, I mean bruised. But yeah, it's rare that anyone reads that part of me as well as he did. Go figure.


That, however, is not my purpose for today's entry.
I was thinking today about the things that every woman should have in her wardrobe. So let's keep this light and relatively shallow and think about that, huh?

1. A hot pair of red shoes: Personally, I have three pairs: red pointy-toed stilettos, red patent leather wedges with a peep toe, and red strappy wedges with an ankle strap. There's nothing like a pair of sexy red shoes with an all-black outfit (and I wear way too much black) and nothing will boost your confidence as much. Besides, they're more practical than you might think - red goes with just about anything.

2. A fabulous coat: I've got my everyday green peacoat, which is cool enough (classic shape, funky color), but there's this great one for slightly warmer weather which is a showstopper: beige with a kind of leopard print - I feel so Jackie O in it. If you have to layer, the layers should be great.

3. Booty pants: These are the pants that show off a shapely booty or create one out of nothing. Great for your confidence, great for going out.

4. A bra for every occasion: The other day I saw a girl with a backless top with little ribbons framing the open expanse of her back. The top would've been great had it not been for the bra strap cutting across her back. Honey, there's a bra for that... Every woman should have a good push-up, a T-shirt bra, a convertible bra, a strapless/backless bra, and a supportive sports bra. And as long as we're on the subject, make sure that sucker does what it's meant to do and get one that fits. One should never underestimate the power of a good foundation....

5. A great bag: I'm talking one that's outside your basic black/brown plain handbag family. Pick a funky one and make it your signature piece. Leopard print, yellow, green, plum, red... Go for a classic shape in a wild color and work it - instant sophistication.

6. Great fitting jeans: There was a time in my life when I hated shopping for jeans. Half a gazillion squats later, I enjoy it much more. Great jeans are notoriously hard to find, but everyone should have at least one pair. They should be comfortable and classic and, of course, they should flatter your booty. Once you find a style that works for you, stock up. Gap's Long and Lean cut jeans are a perrenial favorite, and universally flattering.

7. A fitted blazer: The ultimate piece to create instant polish. Throw it on over some jeans for a casual pulled-together look or with pants or a skirt for work. It can go with a blouse, sweater, t-shirt... It just depends on the occasion.

8. A white blouse: No brainer, right? I like to get them with some unexpected details: textured fabrics, French cuffs, ruffles, whatever... It goes with everything. Seriously.

9. An A-line skirt: It looks good on anyone. You can dress it up or dress it down, and therefore, it works.

10. A black turtleneck sweater: Or any slim-fitting, neutral-colored sweater. It's warm and sexy.

11. A little black dress: Or several. I have a sleeveless cotton one for summer, a 3/4 sleeve wrap dress, among others. Dresses are totally underrated. It's one perfect go-to piece.

No comments: