Hello!

Hello!

18 January 2008

Peter on the Plane

First, here's another shirt that I want:





Now, I've been thinking about Peter from the Plane a lot lately. He was the guy I sat next to from DC to NYC, and we talked the whole time. He's a grad student, majored in philosphy in undergrad, and had packed for three weeks in Perú without really thinking, and mostly in plastic shopping bags. Anyway, aside from coining the term retrosexual (love it!) for people who still think that sex requires some kind of real emotional connection and commitment, he read me pretty well. I've been thinking a lot about what he said, as I mentioned earlier.

First, he realized that I'm the nicest person in the world (ha, ha). This he said with a bit of sarcasm, but also impressed by my line of work and history of volunteerism.
Then he said that he'd judged me, thinking that I was just a pretty girl, but apparently I was also smart and interesting. I told him I was a homely kid, so I was forced to develop a bit of personality, and he told me about ugly duckling syndrome. He asked me if I thought guys didn't take me seriously because of my looks. My answer? Yes. Absolutely. I know, I know, poor little pretty girl. But it does suck, because I'm much smarter than I look. And I'm less shallow than you might think. Don't let the make-up and stilettos fool you: I'm a lover of third world travel and beauty in the broken places. I want to live among the poor and work to better the world. I told him about my dreams for a non-profit in the States and the sister NGO working abroad, and he said he knew I'd do it because he could see the passion in my eyes.
As we parted ways in NY, he told me, "Don't forget, Frances, you're worth a million." And he seemed so incredibly sincere, that I felt like he knew how much I needed to be reminded of that. Anyway, I think about this now, and am desperately trying to remember that I really am worth a million. More than that. I am a bit insecure these days, but Peter on the Plane's words have been coming to me randomly when I most need them.
Funny how a person can be in your life for so little time and give you exactly what you need, not only in that moment, but for days later.

No comments: